Monday, February 21, 2011

The rGBH difference

Let's talk about rGBH. This morning as I was having my daily breakfast of an egg, fruit, and green tea (I added a cookie but more about that later), I noticed something strange on the milk label. My mom buys smart balance milk, you know the red carton with all the extra stuff on it and I think Oprah's trainer makes it, this milk is fat free with the taste of whole milk and all these added extra anti-oxidants. It wasn't the anti-oxidants that got me, it was the large rGBH free label but the discliamer under it which claimed there isn't a known difference between rGBH milk and non-rGBH milk. That immediately made me go, hmm. Let's break down this hormone and see if there is no side effect.

Bovine Somatotrophin, or BST, is a hormone that naturally occurs in cattle. This hormone aids in the cattles growth. It's all natural so there's nothing wrong with BST, as it is commonly known. In 1994, scientists perfected the bovine growth hormone or BGH and began adding it to cows diet. The United States is the only country that permits milk treated with BGH to be sold and marketed. BGH is used to decrease cell death in cows and increase milk production in these same cows. More milk equals more $$$$$. Very simple equation.

Before we talk about the side effects of these extra hormones in humans, we're gonna talk about the side effects in cows. Although the cows make more milk, their milk is proven to be hormone laden thus causing the milk to spoil quicker and contains less nutrients. Basically, the milk is of poorer quality. Another side effect is a decrease in fertility in cows and an increase in lameness, meaning the cow can't walk normally.

Now that we've established that the claims made by Smart Balance are not entirely true. Let's talk about the effects in humans. One side effect I can attest to is the over development of young girls at a young age. My little sister began her period at 8 and had a woman's body before middle school. I'm sure that's not entirely due to BGH but I'm sure it played a part in it. There is also an increase in IGF, or insulin, which causes rapid aging, diabetes, and cancer.

How do you avoid milk, or meat, treated with rGBH? Try to buy local or direct from a farmer. If possible, shop at wholefoods or other natural markets. It's impossible to know if your milk has been treated with rBGH or rBGT because there is no law requiring milk to be labeled as hormone free. In addition, Afact, a pro-hormone, company has been lobbying for a ban on distinguishing milk by their hormone content. I wish I could tell you to make your own milk, but it's impossible, unless you have a cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment