Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ancient Aztec Xocolatl

I found this recipe in Amazing Wellness magazine winter 2010 issue and I thought I'd try it as a post shovel treat. Of course, I modified the recipe for one person.

2 whole vanilla beans( I used vanilla extract and almond extract and used a splash of each)
2 cups milk (I used a cream/water combination about 1/2 cup together)
2 ounces of bittersweet chocolate (I used a handful or 1/4 cup of nestle dark chocolate chips)
1/3 cup coca powder( I used about 1 1/4 tablespoons)
1/4 teaspoon of chilli or chipotle powder (I used a dash of chilli powder)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
2 to 4 tablespoons of honey (I used 1 tablespoon of Agave Nectar)
4 sticks of cinnamon bark(I didn't use that)

I combined my cream/water with vanilla and almond extract and I let it simmer for 5 minutes, I then turned down the heat and combined my chocolate. Once that simmered I added my chilli powder, cinnamon, and agave nectar. I mixed it with a fork and let it thicken. I put the still hot mixture in a cup and let it cool. The recipe says to add the cinnamon bark to the complete hot chocolate.

Maybe I didn't use a lot of chilli powder because it didn't have the punch I expected but this is not too sweet. It's about a 3.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment