Friday, February 25, 2011

My big chop story

I am terrified. What started out as a simple bi-weekly hair washing, has turned into a life changing event. I have been growing out my relaxer for 18 months and today I ended my transition and cut off the relaxed hair. This is not something I planned to do. I just held my natural hair and thought, "that looks really nice." Then I cut off some straggly ends and couldn't stop myself. Next thing I know, I cut off too much relaxed hair and had to finish. By the time I took stock of what happened, it was too late. I couldn't go back. I was a natural woman.

My mind immediately began to race. Will I get another job? Will I get a husband? Will people think I'm crazy? Will people wanna be my friend? How will I explain this to my family? What's next? I committed the ultimate blasphemy. I cut off my crowning glory and was left with the mess that women have been trying to correct for centuries. I looked around and saw the years of hair. I saw my length, it was no more than three inches but still I wanted to cry. I didn't. I couldn't. It's my hair and I shouldn't have to apologize for wearing my hair as I choose to wear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment