Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Raw Milk Debate

raw milk

I first heard about raw milk after reading an article about it in the Baltimore Sun newspaper. The reporter went through great lengths to get the milk, which is banned in Maryland but legal in Pennsylvania, and went into the logistics of it. I don't recall the entire article but last night I had the urge to try some raw milk.

Needless to say, getting this raw milk will not be easy. I can get it in Maryland but finding someone who will trust me enough to sell it, or exchange it, to me will not be easy and getting it from PA means at least an hour drive to get this milk. That's another story for another day.

The reason I'm writing is I find it weird that we can't have natural milk but the FDA has approved milk from genetically cloned cows. It's weird that we can have milk treated with hormones but we can't have milk in it's raw state.

The FDA claims that raw milk is full of bacterial and has caused at least 85 outbreaks and two deaths in the last 20 years. The FDA website also claims raw milk causes side effects such as vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, fever, headache and body ache. Raw milk advocates claim that drinking raw milk is healthier than it's alternative and many lactose intolerant people claim that they're able to consume raw milk. They also say it tastes better.

Something in the milk isn't clean literally and figuratively. I find it weird that I can take a nanproxen that may cause side effects ten times worse than that of raw milk or I can take a pill that has killed millions but I can't have raw milk. Why is the government going out of it's way to prosecute these farmers but drugs dealers and murderers go free every day? There's something deeper going on and I'm going to get to the bottom of it. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment