Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Things They Make Me Go Hmmm

I am twitching as I write this post because it is nasty. This is a reason why I don't eat processed food. The things the FDA legally allows in your food seems more to protect the manufacturer than us.

"Food and Drug Administration says that a certain amount of contamination is
unavoidable in commercial food processing, so it allows for a small amount of
"filth" before taking action. "it is economically impractical to grow,
harvest, or process raw products that are totally free of non-hazardous,
naturally occurring, unavoidable defects." http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20013038-10391704.html


Someone tell me what is unavoidable about maggots and rat hair in my food? I need someone to breakdown the economically impractical part. Are you too cheap? Does it cost too much? What does that mean.

The list:

20 or more maggots in canned mushrooms (is someone opening these cans and inspecting the amount of maggots in them?)
12% or more of mold in fruit
1 rodent hair in peanut butter (once again, is someone counting the hairs in the peanut butter)
foreign matter including cigarette butt(it is economically impractical to tell your workers not to put stuff in my food. I understand)
animal feces (heaven forbid you call an exterminator)
15 fruit fly eggs
25mg of sand in peanut butter
40 thrips on asparagus and in beer
60 parasite for 100 fish(more than 50% of my fish is allowed to have parasites on it)
325 mg of insect feces can end up in your spices
sticks and stones

Am I wrong that I'm listening to Michael Jackson's "They Don't Care About Us?" because that's how I feel. Who made these rules? Don't answer that. I'm really convinced that FDA is all about getting their palms greased and could care less about the consumer. Who allows maggots in food? Let's cook at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment